Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Re: The Economist article on mirrorless cameras
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 3 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

spacemn wrote:

What are you trying to insinuate in one of your usual sensationalist posts here? Sony FF sensors are on par with Canon FF sensors?

That for low-light performance, there is not a significant difference.

Really?! This video gives you a different perspective. Sony A7R is superior even in low light versus the 5D3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lFu6CuOdk

First of all try to compare the best Sony FF sensor (the 36Mpix sensor) with the Canon, although the conclusion is not much different:

I was comparing the most recent Nikon and Canon made FF sensors to the closest Sony equivalent.

Yes, at very high ISO the FF sensors do not exert big differences in IQ, whether it being SNR, DR, tonal range or colour sensitivity.

I think you can leave out the "very".

However at base ISO the Sony A7R is whopping 2 stops better than the Canon 6D and 1 stop better than the Nikon Df, AND we haven't even looked at the resolution yet.

Yes, the on-sensor ADC of the Sony sensors really helps here. (Neither the Df nor 6D have this.) But the claim was not about low ISO DR.

-- hide signature --

Erik

I guess you have put your straw hat on now and coming with arguments not really adding to anything. It is just pathetic that you cannot admit the Sony sensor for really anyone is the better sensor than what Canon have to offer. That is also what is reflected in the DXOMark overall score (13 points difference). Then you can hang your straw hat on a narrow ISO interval where the sensors are virtually on par or try to make jumping jacks to lure away the attention from what matters.

I'd just be happy knowing that I can take a low light shot where ultimate IQ is needed with the Sony A7, using a tripod, basically trouncing the Canon by two stops in dynamic range (playing with highlights without the picture being destroyed by noise). As a Canon user I would really hope they would start innovate, even though the IQ is fine for most purposes. The competition is just running away in a very fast pace.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow