Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,186Gear list
Like?
Florida birds, babies, & BIFs
6 months ago

Thought it was time to share a few more Florida birds here, as I haven't posted a thread of them for a few weeks.  These shots are from Green Cay Wetlands or Wakodahatchee Wetlands two weekends ago, with the A6000, 55-210mm lens, and DH1758 1.7x teleextender combo as usual:

A black-necked stilt flying past me while calling alert - she had a nest nearby and was worried about the proximity of a heron below

Another shot of the stilt as it flew by - alternating between calling alarm and not calling

OK - so it's not all that attractive when it's still wet and sticky!  This is a least bittern chick, fresh out of the egg even before its siblings...caught a rare moment when mom got up to hunt for food and left the chick unattended

Sadly, as often happens in the bird world, this chick and her two siblings who hatched a little later were all missing this past weekend - just a mom still hanging around.  Likely they became a meal for another bird - usually the herons or egrets.

Great blue herons are much more predator than some people think - they'll eat darn-near anything if they can fit it down their throat.  This one was working out how to swallow a turtle.

Incoming!  This great blue heron was coming off the water below and flying low - it had to lift over the boardwalk - if a person were walking there, they'd be smacked in the head as this guy is right at people-level on the boardwalk

A double-crested cormorant flying by low and fast, against the lush green foliage background

Another 'baby' - though this one much bigger - this is a glossy ibis chick, getting almost to the size of the adults, but still showing the white on the neck and bill that will go away as it gets older, and it will also develop the iridescent sheen to the feathers that gives them the name.

No - this one isn't in the wetlands...it's in my backyard - this white-winged dove was sitting on the lamppost while I was in the pool, and just as I went to snap him, he jumped off - so I got him in a silly jumping position

And one non-fauna shot - this was just a strange looking flower/bud/seed - don't know what type of plant it is, but it only did this for about a week, and then all those little spikes disappeared.  I thought it was cool looking!

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always.

Hope you enjoyed.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow