Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: The Economist article on mirrorless cameras
In reply to Jerry Fusselman, 4 months ago

Jerry Fusselman wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

Jerry Fusselman wrote:

JonTafferOfPhotography wrote:

that said, I think we are several years (3-8 years or more) away from mirrorless cameras that perform (viewfinder/AF) in low light like a DSLR.

Which DSLR performs as well in low light as a Sony alpha a7s?

-- hide signature --

Jerry Fusselman

The A7s looks similar to Nikon Df or that Canon sensor, that was announced a year ago, which was able to shoot in very low light. Why do you think it will perform any differently? The raw sensor performance of all of those cameras is pretty much the same as any other modern FF sensor. I'm sure A7s raw files won't be much better in terms of noise than A7 or A7r, unless Sony cooks them. You can't violate the laws of physics, all modern FF sensors are less than 1 stop from the physical limit (an ideal sensor). Their low light capabilities are all about the noise reduction.

According to DXOmark, the a7r sensor already beats every Canon camera (I own mostly Canon equipment) in low-light ISO performance. The a7s sensor is going to blow the a7r sensor out of the water for low-light performance. It is not easy to imagine Canon or Nikon catching up this year.

-- hide signature --

Jerry Fusselman

It has a low light sensor, but without the low light AF.  dont you understand how stupidly perverse that is?

JonTafferOfPhotography's gear list:JonTafferOfPhotography's gear list
Nikon D4 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow