Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,641
Like?
First two hours with DP2M
3 months ago

Of course I went an bought one a couple of weeks before it is replaced, of course I did, I wouldn't be me if I wasn't sharing my thoughts about yesterday's technology...

It arrived at 9am, I charged the batteries (it seems to use the same battery as my Ricoh Caplio R7, although the ricoh batteries won't lock into place properly but the Ricoh charger works which means I could charge both batts together) and went out for a walk in High Elms Country park.

Battery life is abysmal, I was very conservative but all I managed was 63 shots. I think the way to handle this is to pretend the battery is a roll of 120 film... 63 shots a roll, greeeaaatttt!

I've ordered a couple more batteries. I'm getting a half case to improve the gripability, too.

First impressions of the build and handling of the camera are much more favourable than the original DP1. Nicely screwed together, easy to use and despite the very slow write times, quite responsive compared to old model I used to have. It's such a shame there is no integrated brightline viewfinder, but the screen is not to bad at all.

Image quality is interesting and it might take a while to find the right processing settings. It's almost too sharp, a rather "crunchy" rendering but impressive camera for photographing texture -this camera was made for peeling paint.

Here's a few:

-- hide signature --

"...while I am tempted to bludgeon you, I would rather have you come away with an improved understanding of how these sensors work" ---- Eric Fossum
Galleries and website: http://www.whisperingcat.co.uk/
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmillier/

Ricoh Caplio R7 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow