Pentax K-3 for snapshots?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Madaboutpix
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax K-3 for snapshots?
In reply to marcusocasey, 6 months ago

Hey Marcus

As a cautionary note, I own neither a K-3 (alas!) nor a D7100, but have been using a K-7, which should not handle dramatically different from the K-3, since 2009.

To be sure, a K-3 could be configured in a way that would make it act much like a P&S, most straightforwardly in Green or P Mode. The question is, would that make any of you two happy? If I read the information about your wife correctly, she wants to take readily share-able pics, which needn't be pixel-peeping proof, without having to bother about technical details. She wants sufficiently responsive, snappy AF to capture children in motion. Well, the odds are she would either get to the point with a sophisticated DSLR where she gets the hang of it and appreciates how sexy and satisfying it can be to shoot such a beast, or, more likely, get weary of its bulk and weight, and intimidated by its myriads of buttons, and ultimately take it out on you that you got a camera that is "unusable" for her. As far a that is concerned, it should matter little if you get the K-3 or a D7100.

Now, photography should be fun. So, first and foremost, what camera do you want? If you're after the apex of what an APS-C DSLR can give you today, I'm pretty confident that you would get happy with the K-3, as long as you're willing to shoot RAW and apply some post processing. As for your wife, get her some rugged P&S, maybe one of the latest Olympus models, but make sure to let her make the final selection, as she is the one who is supposed to get happy with it. Just don't let anybody spoil your DSLR fun, or do you want to have a bad conscience whenever you pick up your K-3 or whatever?

Regards

Marc

Madaboutpix's gear list:Madaboutpix's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow