Boudoir & Portrait Photographers - Canon, Nikon (Or Just Maybe Sigma)?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JakeUK
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Boudoir & Portrait Photographers - Canon, Nikon (Or Just Maybe Sigma)?
2 months ago

I am a keen amateur boudoir photographer. I am doing shoots in hotel rooms. I have the following body and lenses: -

• Canon 6D
• Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens
• Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens

I am using a transmitter and two off camera speed-lights with Gary Fong lightspheres.

I am generally shooting at an ISO of 100, shutter speed of 1/180 and an aperture of between F/1.2 and F/2.8.

I am using the 50mm a lot more than the zoom. In many ways, it is a nightmare lens - it back-focuses so much that it needs micro adjustment of a massive -17. There is distortion and chromatic aberration, and it is not even that sharp. All that said, it produces quite magical looking shots (that kind of pop) and has beautiful bocha.

For various reasons, I have an opportunity to make a change in equipment without too much cost. I have a few specific questions: -

1. Would I get better Image Quality from the 5D3 than from the 6D? Has anyone used both and compared them?

2. Would I get better Image Quality from the D800 than the 6D (or 5D3)? Again, has anyone compared then directly please? I know the D800 has 36mp, bit I am only printing at A4 or A3 at 300dpi, so would it actually provide any advantage?

3. Would I get better Image Quality from the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens? On paper this lens looks far better than the Canon 50mm 1.2 (and actually looks like it could be as good as the OTUS). Is there any argument for the Canon over the Sigma though?

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow