Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Big Swifty
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
CPL filter OR lens hood?
6 months ago

Before returning to South America I purchased my X-E1 along with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I only purchased 62mm filters for the 55-200 along with a brass step-up ring and a cheap, collapsable rubber hood so I could use the filters with the 18-55 and still be able to use a hood. Problem is, I get vignetting whenever I use the rubber hood at wider focal lengths, even when collapsed. Enough so that I don't really bother using it anymore.  Not sure if a different hood would solve the problem but gear options are far fewer and more expensive here.  It's cheaper to order from abroad than make a trip to Lima and hunt around for what I ultimately may not be able to find.

I'm at the point where I'm considering getting another CPL filter so I can use the hood that came with the 18-55 and only use the step-up ring for when I occasionally use my Hoya ND-400 or even less frequently the Marumi ND-8. There's a store in Hong Kong that will ship to me in S.A. a 58mm B+W Kaeseman MRC CPL for $81 or for an additional $18 the XS Pro Digital version - both of which keep me under the limit for paying Customs duties and would seem a more certain solution than a new hood which may or may not solve the problem.

In the hood vs. no hood debate I tend to fall on the side of using the hood to cut down on potential flare and to protect the lens from my occasionally clumsy self; not that I want to start that debate. Given the above situation, what would you do?  Get the 58mm filter (and if so, which one?) so I can use the OEM hood, or continue to use the 62mm B+W Kaeseman MRC CPL with the step-up ring without using a hood?  Most of what I shoot is outdoors - landscapes, architecture, street, etc..

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow