Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cchen2
Contributing MemberPosts: 838Gear list
Like?
Dropped my RX10. Doh.
6 months ago

Yes, you read that right. OK, maybe it wasn't a full drop, but it was similar. I had placed it on a too small tripod, you know those small pocket tripods:

Yes, I know I'm stupid and the tripod is too small and flimsy to support a camera the size of the RX10. Lesson learned.

Anyways, I was getting the camera set up on a boulder to take a group picture and as I was walking towards the group, I heard the guys in the picture say, "Whoooa..." and turned around to see my RX10 tilting forward from the tripod, slipping off the rock surface and hitting another boulder nearly 2 feet below, lens first.

Crap. At least that is what I was thinking. And of course, the timer still was ticking and it took the pictures anyways.

When I got to the camera, parts of it were covered with some small sand and particulate matter, both around the lens shade and surrounding the eye piece and some around the screen. There were some dents on the lens shade but the UV lens appears intact with no scratches, thank God.

picture taken after it was cleaned off at home

The camera seemed to be working fine, so I went ahead and set it back up again, this time using my backpack as a tripod of sorts and got the picture I was going for.

The final photo will be cropped

The camera performed just fine afterwards. Here are some other pics from the trip, taken in Kendall Ledges Park, in Cuyahoga Valley National park.

So ultimately, the camera was OK, which I'm super thankful for.  But I will be getting a better mini tripod soon that I can actually trust to hold my camera.  Lesson learned!

take care of your cameras, folks!
Mike

-- hide signature --

Just one life, twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow