What would you recommend as a first zoom?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peter
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
What would you recommend as a first zoom?
1 month ago

Hi,

Having acquired a GX7 coupled with a 20mm prime I am looking to add a zoom lens. My wife is wheelchair bound so size and weight for a system are quite important.

So far the I am impressed with the images that I have taken so far; colour rendition is superior to my Canon 40D albeit with kit lenses.

This will probably be the last system that I invest in so am looking for quality in my choice of lenses. I can afford to buy one zoom this year. I have looked at the 12-32 and the 35-100mm as possible choices as these would cover a good range. Either of these will be suitable for the images that I take and ,yes, I will have to compromise a bit until I can build the system. In the future I might add a 45mm prime.

Am I being too hard on other lenses? The kit lenses have limitations and I don't want to buy something I would wish to change later. Cheaper options would be the 14-45mm and the newer 40-140mm. Would I regret buying either of these?

The only other limitation will be availability of stock as most of the desirable lenses seem to be in short supply.

Many thanks for any help.

Peter

Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow