ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peng Bian
Contributing MemberPosts: 528Gear list
Like?
Proud new owner of the RX100 III taking your questions
4 months ago

Hey guys,

In Shanghai where I currently live, the RX100 III is already out, and I bit the bullet and bought one a few hours ago. This camera is to replace my OMD EM5 with 12-40 2.8 lens combo. I'm going to try it out, and if everything goes well, I will sell my 12-40 lens and keep mostly primes on the EM5. If it goes really well, I may think about selling the whole system.

I know the US release date is no for a while longer, and with the demand, the orders may not be filled for a while too. Also it will be a while longer before any respectable publication comes out with their full review of the camera. So if there are any questions you want to know about RX100 III, ask away and I will try to answer it for you.

Some initial thoughts:

I've never owned any previous versions of RX100 so I can't do any comparisons, but comparing image quality with EM5 with the 12-40 2.8, it's actually quite comparable, but I haven't done any controlled tests. I don't believe I'm seeing the same center softness as the DPR studio comparison, and corner sharpness is obviously not up to par with EM5 with 12-40 but I think it's respectable. Hopefully I will get a chance to do some more rigorous comparisons tomorrow.

The camera is not very good in the ergonomics department. But I will buy optional grip that you stick onto the camera, which will hopefully help a bit. I like to shoot with the EVF, and trying to tilt the pop-up flash while looking through the EVF is extremely awkward. Since I will only ever bounce the pop-up (the only way to use the flash and get acceptable images), so I wish there was a hardware lock where you can keep the flash tilted.

The one thing I really wish is for the dials to be a bit more responsive. Save on the graphical fanciness and just change the settings quicker. Not sure if this is something a firmware update can fix. The AF is fast but still slower than my EM5. Startup time requires the lens to move out so it's very slow to take the camera out, turn it on, and take your first shot. It makes the camera feel sluggish overall in comparison to a good MILC. I will see whether I can get used to the decrease in responsiveness.

-- hide signature --
 Peng Bian's gear list:Peng Bian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow