ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gil
gil
Forum ProPosts: 16,641Gear list
Like?
NEX Birding with 1.7X Olympus TCON17
5 months ago

My 1st copy of the TCON17 was a gift from a friend long time ago and it had some issues - rattling element inside (I fixed) and fading outside coating (worse now). Generally still usable (see link of 2013 test images here ). Able to spot a 2nd copy from ebay a few weeks ago. So far this 2nd copy showed better contrast and details but still with CA (could be minimized with settings optimization or in PP) especially with dark outline to light background. See test shots below. As usual, all in jpgs and manual settings except maybe for AWB.

cheers,

gil

Remaining American White Pelican in a park near my home.

Green Heron in flight. Too far to get better details but the red water reflection was kind of interesting.

100% crop of a Green Heron is not bad. With slight PP.

A cheating Anna's Hummingbird (actually perching and just balancing with the wings).

View: original size

CA in the head area. Still need to optimize settings. Did not remove CA from PP (too lazy, maybe next time).

The NEX F3 AF is painfully slow but for big and predictable bird like the Night Crown, very much doable (could get 2-3 usable shots). A6000 in order and hope to get better AF (as advertized :-)).

I like the details retention of this combo - 55-210mm + 1.7X Oly TCON17

Bush Tit above

Not bad at 100% crop, slight PP here.

American Robin - sign of spring.

Would have been better with a less busy background.

-
Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA
Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur
Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

gil's gear list:gil's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow