Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wburychka
Contributing MemberPosts: 893Gear list
Like?
This little camera body is not just for downsizing
5 months ago

DPReview, in its list of who would buy this camera, left out an ever expanding group:  people who want to downsize the load they have.  Not to over use the term, but in fact, it was the Baby Boom generation that built the DSLR camera industry.  The boomers were at the place where they had plenty of disposable income at the time DSLR's became a consumer product.  They bought and bought all the new stuff, the big white lenses, carbon fiber tripods, flashes, and all the other stuff.  Now, ten or twelve years later, the weight is becoming more burden than benefit.

Many of them have moved to mirrorless Sony or Micro four-thirds cameras, but the M4/3's from Olympus tend to be a little pricey and a bit low on pixels.  Only Sony seems to be taking mirrorless seriously.  Unfortunately some of us have small fortunes tied up in Canon mount lenses, and Metabones adapters are not 100% effective.  I had hopes for Canon's mirrorless, but Canon decided that no one with serious photo objectives would buy mirrorless and apparently designed the EOS-M to prove it!  So while I wait for Canon to learn (I estimate 2016) mirrorless, I took a look at the SL1.  What a surprise!  To quote Tony the Tiger, it's grreeaat!

The SL1 with the new Tamron 16-300 weighs 35 oz, or only 2 oz more than my 7D body alone.  It's not much bigger than a compact digital, yet it has all the important (to me) features and capabilities of a DSLR.  With my old-style Canon 35mm F2, it is a super compact "normal lens" back-to-basics camera, like the SLR I had in 1967 with one 50mm F1.8 lens.  With the 16-300 it is a true all-purpose camera.  Add the Sigma 8-16 and a 1.4x, and you have 8-420mm (13-670mm FF equivalent) with just two lenses and an extender!

The AF is better than it should be.  With the Tamron 16-300 at 300mm wide open, it is F6.3, although it lies to the camera and says F5.6 to keep AF on.  That works just fine.  I tried adding a ten year old Tamron 1.4x standard (not Pro) extender to the 16-300.  That extender lacks the extra electrical contacts to communicate its presence to the camera, so the camera "thinks" it's still just the 16-300 at F5.6, instead of a 420mm F9.  Guess what?  In bright light, the autofocus works.

From B&H, it came bundled with a 16GB Sandisk card and Ruggard Hunter 35 Holster bag.  I thought the bag was almost a throwaway until I found I could put in it a Sigma 8-16mm (or the Tamron 16-300, whichever was no on the camera), the Tamron 1.4x extender, a Canon 500D closeup lens and step-up ring, a Canon 90EX flash and extra batteries, a spare battery and spare card.  That goes on my left side with the strap over my right shoulder.  The camera, and whichever of the two lenses is not in the bag, is on a BlackRapid strap on my right side with the strap over my left shoulder.  The whole thing, bag, straps, lenses, etc. weighs 5 lbs 2 oz split almost evenly on my right and left side.  And that total lightweight rig has 18MP APS-C, 8-420mm focal lengths plus closeup, external flash, and batteries for a full long day.  A strap on one side of the Ruggard bag could accommodate either my small Manfrotto CF tripod or my Gorillapod camera support, if I chose, but I normally don't take a tripod these days.

I'm there.  I've downsized.

-- hide signature --

Bill

wburychka's gear list:wburychka's gear list
Canon EOS 100D
wburychka's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow