Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tatsumaki
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Help me understand lens prices
1 month ago

Can you help me understand camera lenses?I just bought a Sony a6000 body + a 50mm f/1.8 and a 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 because I got a really good deal. I am new to cameras and am now doing a lot of research now. I do not have the camera yet (order online) but I am try to learn while waiting. I am trying to figure out lenses and their pricing.

1. The 50mm has 1.8 aperture. To me this sounds like an amazing lens. Its prime and has a very large aperture and could be used for a lot. But it is only priced at $298. Meanwhile a 20mm F2.8 Prime Lens is priced at $348? I know this is a wider view but its a smaller aperture too. Are wider lenses always more expensive? Shouldn't the 50mm be more expensive?

2. Is it better to have a zoom wide lens or settle for just one focal length? What is a good range if I were to get a zoom? What should I look for in a wide lens or should I just settle with my 50mm?

3. Then we have a Zeiss 16-70mm F4 for $998 or the Sony SELP18105G E PZ 18-105mm F4 for $598. Why such a huge price gap for a similar lens? What does the Vario-Tessar T E Zeiss have over the SELP? Also, If I get the zeiss or the SELP, would that be it? It seems like a go to lens for just about anything with that focal length.

4. Why is the Ziess 24mm F1.8 $898? I think I would rather have the 16-70mm F4 for only $100 more.

5. Finally, Lets say I get the Zeiss or the SELP. At a 50mm zoom, will either one take a better picture then my 50mm f/1.8. or does the aperture win here?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow