Please Help me Decide - Currently Camera-less!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DGards
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Please Help me Decide - Currently Camera-less!
3 months ago

I am now camera-less having given my old Sony WX100 to my dad. I need to now decide on which camera I want in the next few days as we have a baby arriving iminently. I basically want an easy to use point and shoot for me and my wife that will deliver somewhere near to it's maximum capabilities when shooting in Auto mode and JPEG. Our budget is no more than £300 and our main priorites are low light IQ better than a camera phone or standard 1/2.3 compact, ease of use, compact size and then lastly video in that order.

I have ruled out going over budget on the RX100 as I believe it will be wasted on us in auto mode. I liked the LX7 but it is slightly too big. I disliked the LF1 JPEGs when comparing IQ to the rest.

I am left with 3 options:

The Nikon P330 currently available here at £160

The Fuji XF1 currently available here at £130

and the Fuji XQ1 currently available at £240.

The Nikon is interesting as despite having a slightly smaller sensor it has a similar speed lense, x1 more zoom and appears to have the best video. However I have heard it has processor issues, that effects the write times etc.

The samples of the Fuji cameras show that they really struggle to find focus. However, whenever I have researched on JPEG engines I am drawn to the Fuji camera's as people say they're renowed for having excellent SOOC shots and the auto mode seems to do a good job. The big draw back on the XF1 is that lense mechanism. I have tried it out in store and after a few attempts it wasn't the worst thing in the world however it is still far from ideal given we want a camera that is quick and easy to use as a poit and shoot. So would the XQ1 be worth the extra £110 to have a regular on/off button and the new xtrans sensor??

I have looked into this so much now my brain is about to melt and I am leaving it to you to decide for me.... please help!!

Thanks

DGards's gear list:DGards's gear list
Sony RX100
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow