Looking for opinions on which portable camera out of this list to choose.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cyber Akuma
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Looking for opinions on which portable camera out of this list to choose.
1 month ago

This is a follow-up to my previous thread. I figured it would be best to start a new discussion about this as now I have a list of cameras rather than post a random reply in the previous thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53724092

I am looking for a camera meant for portability that I can carry around in my pocket so I can take better photos than my cellphone would allow. Being able to fit it in my pocket is the top priority, since I do have access to a DSLR when that is not a concern and I need to have quality and performance above all else.

Ok, so after reading various reviews and getting feedback from a few forums, and looking at a dozen cameras, I have narrowed it down to the Canon PowerShot S110, Canon PowerShot G16, Pentax MX-1, and Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX7K.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_s110&products=canon_g16&products=pentax_mx1&products=panasonic_dmclx7&products=sony_dscrx100&sortDir=ascending

To be honest, the G16 is a bit more than I wanted to pay (I wanted to pay max $400), but the inclusion of an optional viewfinder and 60fps 1080p video are heavily pushing me towards it, not to mention the large battery as battery life is going to be a concern.

Everyone, everywhere, keeps loving the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 it seems. But it's pretty far out of my budget ($500) and seems pretty lacking in functionality. I mean, I heave learned long ago that devices loaded with bells and whistles tend to be a way to mask a shoddy device while raising it's price, but the lack of an optical viewfinder while it has worse macro focal ranges, max shutter speeds, etc surprise me. And yes, I do understand it has a larger sensor than any of the other cameras, still too expensive though compared to what I would be getting with the others. (And the fact that this is just a backup camera for when I can't carry around a bulky DSLR).

So then, out of these, considering my main prority is that I can put it in my pocket, and second are low-light performance and battery life, can you give me your opinion on which one you would recommend? Especially since this is just a backup camera for when I need portability over the improved quality and performance a less-portable DSLR would get me.

Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow