Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Banhmi
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Re: The Economist article on mirrorless cameras
In reply to Dandrewk, 3 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

philip pj wrote:

Don't knock it, they have a business model that works, it's anchored firmly in the distant past and relies on the base staying uninformed, but it turns a profit so more power to them. Just don't confuse it with discussions of quality.

Indeed. Just ask GM, Ford and Chrysler. Like Canon/Nikon, they sat around with their thumbs up their butts while the world changed around them. Yet they remained stuck in the same old/same old, and expected nobody would notice. Too late, they tried to hide beneath the American flag, hoping it wouldn't expose their incompetence.

They lost the initiative, then lost their dominance. The scale is different, but the same thing is happening in photography. I doubt the Japanese government will expend $billions to bale out Canon & Nikon.

It seems to me that the future of Canon and Nikon may depend largely on the extent to which they can produce their own modern components (sensors, image processors, EVFs, AF, IS, software, screens, audio recording, battery, WIFI/NFC, etc.) for a camera body.

My impression is that Sony has the in-house knowledge and capacity to manufacture (and improve upon) a significantly greater portion of the components of a mirrorless camera than Canon or Nikon (although I don't know all the details -- it would really help to see a breakdown of who-makes-what in these cameras).

Banhmi's gear list:Banhmi's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow