Got a couple of Minolta lenses for my A7 today....

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jalywol
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,086Gear list
Like?
Got a couple of Minolta lenses for my A7 today....
3 months ago

Since I have been having so much trouble with the kit lens, I thought I would pick up some old Minolta lenses from a local used photo shop, and see what I could get out of them.

I got a 50mm f1.7 and one of the ubiquitous 70-210mm f4.5-5.6 lenses.  I figured the zoom would probably be iffy at best, but it cost me all of $20, and it works well, so what the heck?

The 50mm is quite a nice lens...the dog shot was taken with it.  She's getting a bit tired of her owner waving the camera in her face, as you can probably see by her expression, but she puts up with it....

The 70-210mm is interesting.  In bright light at the long end, it has a lot of CA (you can see its effects on the gosling photo...and I don't have a hood for it, which might be part of the problem).  However, with the sun behind me, or in shade, it can do quite a nice job.

Focus with these lenses and the LAEA4 adapter is accurate and usually fast (a little hunting sometimes, but it does lock on effectively after it's done).  It works surprisingly well.

The keeper rate for these two lenses was hugely better than that from the kit 28-70mm, so I am sending that lens back for exchange, as I really do believe it has a problem (I'm going to dig deep and get the 24-70mm instead...I need the wider focal length anyway).

So, here are a few from the legacies from today:

-J

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow