Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
giraffe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
5Dmk3 or something smaller/lighter
4 months ago

Within a month I have a decision to make. Currently I have a 7D with 24-105L, 70-300L and a few other Canon lenses. The 7D is a fine camera and in the summertime I shoot a lot of outdoor sports (eg soccer) where the lighting is great and I can get a fast enough shutter speed to stop the action.

Now my dilemma and why I am looking for help making a decision. Starting in August I start shooting my grandchildren's indoor sports. The sports are hockey in poorly lit arenas, indoor soccer in poorly lit arenas and indoor swimming.

I have tested a 5Dmk3 and know that it is very capable of shooting these sports at a high ISO (eg 6400) and therefore can get a fast enough shutter speed to stop action. I did it last year with my 7D but the noise at 6400ISO it quite visible. By using noise reduction programs and a lot of post processing I can get a decent 8x10 and maybe a 11x14 but it is no way as near as good as the 5Dmk3. The 5Dmk3 high ISO and autofocus is just great.

So I am looking at purchasing a 5Dmk3 but if I had a choice I would much prefer a smaller/lighter camera/lens combination. The reason being is that for everyday shooting I now grab my Panasonic FZ200 due to its size and weight vs the heavier 7D and lenses. I am 66 and I find carrying the 7D and 70-300L for a few hours is uncomfortable so size and weight matters. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a smaller/lighter camera/lens that can perform well under the conditions I mentioned above. It does not have to be a Canon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow