Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Ordered an RX10 for this.
6 months ago

I have always thought the RX10 looked awesome and useful, but couldn't justify the purchase until now. I like taking photos of my daughters performances of dance and theater but dont like carrying a DSLR with a 70-200 around. And for a Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 (70-200 equiv) for my G5 it would about the price of the RX10 and not open to 24mm

So I have been using my FZ200 as my preferred shooter. But a few of my daughters performances have been in hotel ballrooms where I have had to bump up to 1600 ISO to get to 1/160th shutter which is seems to be the minimum to freeze 80% of the dancing.

The FZ200 makes clean enough images for my taste at 800 and below, but at 1600 the quality drop is huge. And with many more of these scheduled my wife asked me to go ahead and get something that would get it done.

So I have decided for convenience of not having to change lenses from 24-70 or 70-200, I would get the RX-10 which should be able match the FZ200's 800 ISO using all the way to 3200 or possibly 6400 on the RX-10.

Here is where the FZ200 was pretty good at 1250 with decent stage light. But even this is not nearly as clean as I am hoping to get the from the RX10. (I have better ones, but they have my daughters friends faces and I don't think the parents want me posting randomly.)

The advantage of the FZ200 is the 600mm f2.8 for zooming in close, it does great like this. I got this photo of my friend performing sitting way back in the theater. I know the RX10 has digital zoom and 20MP but I think here the FZ200 might have a small advantage.

So I am excited to get the RX-10 and the RX100M3 I have on Pre-order. Guess I will be getting the 10 first!

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow