Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 1,913Gear list
Like?
Request of 6D owners
4 months ago

I certainly don't have the skill to extract the most from my 70D nor my lenses, but I absolutely have the desire to get better as a photographer.  Part of that desire is the strong urge to use a FF camera either in addition to, or as a replacement for my 70D.

In a perfect world, I'd have the means to pick up a 5D3 but in reality, that's simply not an option.  Why a 5D3?  Because I really enjoy capturing my daughter at play which often involves her running around.  I know the 5D3 would excel at this, bettering both the 6D and my 70D.  However, I'm curious to know if the performance of the peripheral AF points is good enough to capture pictures of my daughter at play.

So now that I've rambled on, I'll get to the point of the post/request.  I was wondering if any current 6D owners would be willing to detail their experience with the peripheral AF points and shooting "action".  Especially via images.

I'm thinking that this may be an unfulfilled request as I would assume most who want to shoot action are likely choosing between the 7D, 70D, or 5D3.  But I thought I'd ask anyway.

Typically, I shoot in AI Servo with back button focusing.  I will typically lock onto my subject (daughter usually but many friends have asked that I get some action shots of their kids since most photogs typically want to pose their children) and track them for a short distance until I get the framing I want and then I fire a burst of photos.  With this method (and heavy use of AFMA), I've been able to get a LOT of good, in-focus, sharp images at f/2.5-2.8 with my 85/1.8 (the lens I typically use for such occasions due to it's focus speed).

If there's some better technique, I'd love to know of it!!!!!

Anyway, thanks for any help y'all can provide.  The 6D refurb on Canon's site is calling my name since it's 15% off.  The only downside is I may have to snag the 135L as well to replicate the angle of view of the 85 on my 70D.  From what I understand, it too, focuses very fast, is that right?

THANKS!!!

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +13 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow