Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pubserv
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
A6000 ups the Macro Game!
6 months ago

I got to spend some time today in a Bronx botanical garden with the A6000 and 55-210 as a macro lens with the Raynox 150. I'd had good results with the combo before with my 5N, but the A6000 has upped the game!

To be fair, the A6000 enabled me to use a Minolta 5600 flash, which was extremely useful. Its head tilts down an extra 15 degrees for close objects, HSS allowed shutter speeds of 1/250 or faster (A6000 by itself has a 1/160 speed limit), and the extra light enabled me to increase DOF with F20 and still keep ISO to 800. I had heard that the long lens with the adapter would cast a shadow from the flash, but that wasn't noticeable.

I shot all pix at 100mm to keep a deep DOF as well. If I had it to shoot again, I might use a longer focal length to reduce the amount of cropping I needed to do, which shows noise and may decrease focus accuracy percentage. All shots were AF, by the way. My one complaint is that peaking didn't always work, or it was hard to see in bright sunlight (LCD screen was set to Sunny Weather). Still a few shots each on AF was sufficient to get the shots I wanted.

One other note is that using F20 (or anything smaller than F13 I believe) means that the fast hybrid PDAF of the A6000 doesn't work. AF was about as slow as on the 5N, though focusing with the Raynox at this close a distance is difficult in and of itself as the DOF is so narrow.

All significant crops and levels adjusted in LR5.

C&C welcome!

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow