Lens comparisons re DOF a bit simplistic or is there more to it?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899Gear list
Like?
Lens comparisons re DOF a bit simplistic or is there more to it?
1 month ago

I noticed that there were some threads in the last wee while regarding comparisons of FF lenses with the Fuji offerings, like a comparison of a FF 35/2.0 Canon lens with a Fuji 23/1.4. The argument was that the DOF was equivalent but the price very different, so one woul dbe actually better off with the FF system.

In another thread I read that if you wanted "really" shallow DOF you would need to go FF.

There is probably some truth in all this, the 85/1.4 Nikkor was more expensive than the difference in aperture would suggest when compared to the 85/1.8 so the question is, whether there is actually more to all this or whether it really is that simple.

My take on the argument around fast glass is that the term "fast" has been neglected big time, maybe due to the high ISO capabilites of current camera models combined with image stabilisation. But "fast" is just that, fast as in faster, because regardless of how far you push the ISO, the 1.4 will always have a speed advantage over a slower lens.

What about the different rendering of light? And then there is bokeh. And: how "shallow" is shallow enough? I posted a 100% crop of a picture taken with the 35/1.4 at F2.0 of a girl where some eye lashes are in focus, but the iris I thought I had focussed on was slightly "out" the tip of the nose and the lips out of focus anyway - and all this at F2.0 (or DOF equiv of 3.0 on FF).

Am I the only one shaking my head in disbelief when some people argue, that shallow DOF is a FF business? The truth IMO is that the FF afficionados possibly have a point, but I must say that when only parts of an image are in focus e.g. parts of an eye, then I think a certain threshold has been reached.

I think that the lenses in my current lineup are actually amongst the best I ever owned and they are by far not the most expensive ones. And a fantastic mix (not, not a compromise!!) of fast plus great rendering.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow