Nikon D4s: Bayer processing breakthru?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,528Gear list
Like?
Print analysis: matching Foveon to CFA
In reply to Tom Schum, 4 months ago

Just for fun I printed the test image on 19"x13" paper (Inkpress Fine Art Matte, 12mil, 220GSM) on my Epson R2000 printer.

My wife immediately picked the image on the right as the better one because "the pink is pinker". This is the X-E1 image.

I noticed that the DP3M image does have slightly less saturation, but still excels in the depiction of surface textures in all the plastic (pots, crates, etc). Also, textures of the foliage and the red-painted metal rack were also more visible.

I did most of my acutance processing based on the printing visible in the second pot from the left on the top row, and the two of them match up quite well in the print. At the far right, on the top row, the tag printed "Ashley's annuals" has a slight sharpening halo in the X-E1 image and a more natural blurring in the DP3M image.

In the DP3M image, the edges of the plastic plant markers for the white pots in the top row on the left seem a little bit too sharp to me, almost stark, compared with these in the X-E1 image.

In the bottom right of the DP3M image, the plastic plant marker seems to have some edge jaggies compared to the X-E1 image. The barcode in the bottom right corner is more detailed in the DP3M image and almost jumps out at you,while in the X-E1 image it is somewhat muted.

The foliage in the DP3M image in the bottom left is much better rendered than in the X-E1 image. The leaf textures make it almost palpable. But the fern leaves in the top left seem to be pretty much the same in both images.

I think because of the differences in textural detail between the two images, that I prefer the X-E1 image. To me, it's just more pleasant to look at. The lack of textural detail makes it look smoother and nicer to me. The DP3M image has a grittier feel to it, more realism, you see all the warts.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow