To sell of not to sell…that is the question.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhotoRush
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
To sell of not to sell…that is the question.
1 month ago

Hello all!

Looking for some feedback here, hopefully, from others who have been in my same position or have    felt the same. No bashing please.

I am trying to make the best decision whether or not to sell my Canon 5D Mark III or not.

I've only been shooting with a DSLR since around 2010. To be honest, it's been an off & on kind of thing in my spare time. I began with a Canon T2i (550D) & still own that. I had done a few paid shoots with it, including a couple of weddings. At that time, I was all hung ho about becoming a photographer & did nothing but watch videos, practice, etc. in my spare time.

I then accumulated more equipment & with practically every paycheck, was buying something new. I purchased a Canon 17-55F2.8, Canon 70-200F4, Canon 501.4, x3 Canon speedlites, x3 pocket wizards minis, cases, paper backgrounds, software, books, & a whole list of other accessories.

In anticipation of doing more weddings & with all the holiday sales promo hype, against my own intuition, I purchased a new Canon 5D MarkIII. I had originally wanted to save money & go with a MKII used/refurbished but  friends, including my own wife, advised to go for the best that I could afford. Honestly, the 5DIII is way more than what I actually need. I usually shoot with speedlites in controlled situations & rarely go over ISO 800.

Here's my dilemma. After that, never did a wedding again but have done a few paid shoots i.e.. family, graduation, couples.

I believe that I have potential. I repeatedly get referrals from past clients. I have the gear to do this. I live near a college town between Austin & San Antonio where there is a huge market for graduation shoots, weddings & more. My original plan was to wait until I pay my house off (5 more yrs) to try this full-time but for now am very ok with doing it as a hobby.

However, the reality is that, I hardly think of photography anymore. By the time my work week is over, I really enjoy my weekend to myself. There are times when my camera doesn't come out of its case for weeks or months. I have thousands of dollars worth of gear depreciating.

Have any of you ever felt like this or put down photography only to come back with even more passion or desire?

Should I sell my 5D Mark III, continue to shoot with my T2i & then only upgrade again if I need to?

Have any of you successful PROS out there every gone through this at some point in your career?

Thank you!

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow