Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bearkite
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Digital ND Filter?
2 months ago

On occasion, I have what I call my "Shower Thoughts". You get the idea... standing there in the shower, head stuck in the stream of water pondering whatever ails you. In the old days, I came up with some outstanding kite graphics that way. More recently, it's been more about problems at work. This morning, I was thinking about a shooting session I had last week.

Last Saturday, I was shooting in a grove of hardwoods in the northern Pennsylvania woodlands. Being a breezy day, the trees were in motion. I was looking to try and capture that motion. But the only real way to pull that off would have been with an ND filter. But I own none (but will soon).

The thought I had this morning was, with all the computing power being built into today's DSLRs (and digital cameras in general) why not add a function that applies a "digital" neutral density filter (either standard or graduated) to the scene and then meters accordingly. You could pick the amount of darkening in a menu. You could (perhaps) tie it to where the virtual horizon is (or not).

I don't know. Like I said, random thought in the shower. But maybe worth someone's time to look at?

Now the question becomes, how do I get this on Nikon's radar?

Bearkite's gear list:Bearkite's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow