4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774Gear list
Like?
Lets Assume Canon Made An EF-mount Mirrorless 6D MKII
6 months ago

What would be the advantages

Here is what I expect:

1.  about 1/3 lighter body;

2.  Body about 3/4 inch less wide (Sony a7 is 5 inches and I see no reason Canon could not do same with no mirror inside);

3.  Body thickness would be same as current 6D (maybe slightly thinner) since flange distance still 44mm;

4.  Lens would be same-I used to think that going to mirrorless FF would result in smaller and lighter lenses-so far Sony with their 70-200 f4 OSS has shown this not to be the case-Canon's 70-200 f4 IS is a bit smaller;

5.  An EVF would have to be used but EVFs have gotten so good this would not be a problem to me.

What would be the disadvantages:

1.  I don't see any for my purposes.

On top of all that Canon could put the touchscreen LCD LiveView AF system into it.

Would this be basically equal to a mirrorless system with 18mm flange like Sony a7 without having to go to any new lenses.  Canon is making excellent primes with IS in them.  Like that.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Olympus PEN E-PL5 +11 more
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow