Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ian Leach
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198
Like?
How do news websites deal with copyright
2 months ago

News websites such as dpreview, ephotozine and photography blog use many photos/images from many sources as part of their content. Do they ask every single source for permission before publishing the story? With large companies I would imagine they are happy to get extra advertising but can you take that for granted and use their images in a news story? What about smaller sources, imagine an individual posted a snap to flickr, could dpr use a screenshot of it in an article entitled ‘interesting photo found on flickr’, without asking? At the moment there is an image of an Olympus patent in the news list; did dpr ask Olympus if they could display it?

What about photography news channels on YouTube? They use screen capture software to create a video of themselves surfing the web, showing the websites of others including images, as they discuss news topics. Do they really contact everyone to check if they mind having their images reproduced in a secondary source.

I suppose what I’m asking is, do copyright rules change in the context of news?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow