ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rajeshb
Contributing MemberPosts: 840
Like?
Opinion on Panasonic G3+100-300 for African safari
4 months ago

Hi everybody,

greetings. This is my first post in m4/3rd forum and I am bothering you with a question.

I will be working in Africa this summer as an intern and after my work finishes, my wife will join me in Tanzania for a safari. My wife uses a Pana G3 only when we travel (she is a casual photographer) and I use a Nikon D7000 (I am a serious landscape photographer). 
I will bring my D7000+tamron 70-300 VC for the safari and I planned to rent a Panasonic 100-300 for her G3. I planned to use the G3 as a back up to my Nikon and also to use it when 450 effective focal length of the Tamron would not be sufficient. 
In the mean time, I posted an ad to sell the G3 in craigslist and I am getting a good price for it, with which I can buy a Nikon D5100 and rent another 70-300 for her during the safari. 
Now I am in dilemma about what to do with my G3. One reason for posting the ad was that my wife uses a 14-42 on G3 and if she wish to do some serious shooting, it will be difficult for us to buy lenses for two different systems. If I buy a Nikon D5100 she could use my lenses. I also like the idea of a back up camera from the same brand.

but if we buy the D5100 then we will loose the advantage of 600mm effective focal length of panasonic 100-300. 
In this respect I would appreciate your suggestion on the panasonic combo. I am mostly interested to use it for the reach. So, please share your experience of using it at 300 mm, optical quality and autofocus speed etc. please also share if you have experience of using both the systems.

Thank you very much in advance

Rajesh

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow