Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sinnettc
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,501Gear list
Like?
Where there's smoke . . .
1 month ago

We're in Bend, Oregon, for a few days, visiting some of the grandkids. We're staying at Scandia RV Park which is right in town (and pretty nice). After lunch we heard a bunch of sirens and while I was running an errand afterwards I noticed two plumes of smoke in the distance.

A couple of hours later it looked like a cloudy day out, but it was smoke.

We drove up to Pilot Butte, along with about 1,000 other folks, to see what was going on.

The fire was about 7 miles away, or so.  (images @ 500mm are DA* 300/4 and AFA 1.7x TC)

After I took pictures on the butte, we drove to the other side of the first ridge in the above photos. There's a park/trail system, still probably 3-4 miles from the fire, where we stopped and walked maybe 100 yards to a good viewpoint. There's a state campground in the area near the fire which they evacuated early on. We saw a number of folks towing trailers into town who'd obviously been evacuated.

*just heard on the 11 PM news that the area where I took the following is now under an evacuation warning too*

Looking back toward town & our camp site.

We were right under the flight path of the fire retardant tankers making their return runs.

Here's a couple more of my favorites. . .

Sinnettc's gear list:Sinnettc's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q10 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow