System with best "bang for buck" lenses?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589Gear list
Like?
Re: System with best "bang for buck" lenses?
In reply to thechoson, 4 months ago

Good cases can be made for Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax being good as bang for the buck lenses in APS-C format.   On the used market good Nikon lenses are known for holding value more than other lenses, which is kind of the opposite of bang for the buck from the new users perspective.

There are quite a few complaints on these forums about the cost of the micro-four thirds lenses and the Fuji lenses too.

A lot depends on what particular lenses you want to buy and how you will use them.     On my Pentax DSLRs, a new $700 Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 works great.   On my Sony DSLRs, the same version of Tamron focus hunted so much I ended up buying a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for $1100.    That wasn't very good bang for the buck for Sony.   But my Sony 16-50 f/2.8 is very good whereas my Pentax 16-50 f/2.8 is merely good and it cost more.  But then the optical coatings on the Pentax lenses are better so there is less lens flare.   That can be very beneficial in some situations.

But back to the micro-four third lenses.    It is a new format so all the lenses are pretty good, having been recent designs taking advantage of modern lens design and manufacturing techniques.    With Canon, Sony and Nikon, there are a few lenses that go back a long ways and not as good as modern ones. (particularly zooms)   It can be a bit tricky figuring out which ones those are.  No matter how mediocre a lens is, you can find someone who will tell you how great it is and will post some really nice pictures to prove it.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow