Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mr_Cynical
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?
Potential (late) EM5 switcher
3 months ago

I currently own two camera systems (Pentax DSLR and Sony NEX mirrorless), but I'm contemplating buying an OMD E-5 given the offers that there are at the moment with it being an end-of-line - to cut a very long story short, the body price in the UK is only £100 more than the EM10 which seems like a no-brainer to me. I've just got a few remaining doubts that I hoped folk on here might be able to advise me about:

• If you've made the switch from a DSLR/APS-C mirrorless system how easy was it to handle the change from 3:2 to 4:3 ratio? This is my main concern, as I almost exclusively shoot landscapes. I don't particularly like cropping (besides minor tweaks for squint horizons!) in post processing.
  • Is there anything I've missed which makes the EM10 a better choice than the EM5, besides the price difference? I don't have kids or pets, so the better continuous AF in the EM10 doesn't attract me. I also shoot RAW so the newer JPEG engine isn't that attractive.
  • Are there any particular reliability/QC issues I should check for when it arrives? Having been almost on the point of ordering, I've been a bit spooked by threads on here suggesting that there are shutter shock problems (especially around 1/100 it seems) with both the EM5 and EM10. This isn't something I've experienced (or at least I haven't noticed it if I have) with either of my existing systems

I'm not expecting a "NEX vs Micro 4/3"-type thread here, since obviously this is the Micro 4/3 forum (to cut a very long story short, I love the NEX 6 as a camera but not the limited lens selection).

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow