Olympus 45mm f1.8 and Sigma 60mm f2.8 or Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greenbeanz
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
Olympus 45mm f1.8 and Sigma 60mm f2.8 or Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro ?
2 months ago

I originally posted this in the http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53813606 thread but figure it is better as a stand alone thread. I am caught between picking up the Sigma 60mm f2.8 and the Oly 45mm, or for about the same price, the Oly 60mm f2.8 macro. I already have the Panasonic 25mm which I love, but that is not great for portraits (except environmental) and a lovely old Helios with extension tubes for occasional macro which I enjoy. I want to do more portraits and extension tubes are usable, but a pain, so a macro lens would be useful. I can see that the 45 would be great for portrait work but either 60mm would give me a little more space, and I am quite shy, so that little distance would help at first until I am more comfortable with photographing people, particularly street shots. The Oly macro is tempting but both the 45 and sigma 60 seem better portrait options. The olympus 60mm is also weatherproofed but while the macro shots I have seen from it are great both the Sigma and Olympus seem to trump it for portraits. Maybe I am just thinking out loud but any input would be appreciated. Do you have any combinations of these lenses and if so do you hanker after one of the ones you do not own?

-- hide signature --

“I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” Pablo Picasso
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66891090@N05/

Greenbeanz's gear list:Greenbeanz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow