Sony a7 Long-Term Resale

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
kjmantis
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a7 Long-Term Resale
In reply to woodsjo3, 6 months ago

I was in a similar boat where I had the NEX7 with around 6 lenses. After 2 years I was itching for an upgrade and was ready to buy the a6000.

But then an opportunity came up (like you) to get the a7r for a fantastic price. Yes it was more money. Yes I would have to upgrade all my lenses to full frame. Yes my wife would kill me. But I did it anyway and am so happy I did.

The IQ upgrade to full frame and Zeiss glass is amazing and I still have a lot of fun "pixel peeping" just because I can. This combo has challenged me to improve my skills to meet the needs of this setup and I'm humbled by how much more I have to learn.

A big difference in our situations are that I'm actually thinking "short" term rather than long. That is, I'm looking to resell the body after an a7r mk2 is released. Yes I will lose some value. But I see the "loss" more of a differential and "hire" cost of the setup. It's as if I "rented" the body this whole time. And after running some numbers compared to actually renting the body from a company, I would have to lose a lot of value on resale to be the same.

I think the biggest thing for me was the fact that I'm now a hobby photographer and I will always have a decent camera setup in my possession because I take this hobby somewhat seriously rather than a phase. The fact that you take the time to read and post to these forums shows that you probably are too.

Obviously, there's always great deals out there, but don't force yourself if you are not financially able and will need to borrow money with high interest just to grab this bargain. Especially if you don't expect to make any money from your photos.

So my opinion would be that of you are financially able to capitalise on this bargain (and if the setup is new with local warranty, I think it is), then pull the trigger and get it. You won't regret it and you'll be a better photographer for it.

These are just my thoughts and a sharing of my experiences, and I hope that it has been helpful and relevant to you. I thank you for taking the time to read my post and wish you luck on your journey!

kjmantis's gear list:kjmantis's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow