Did you upgrade from the K-5 to the K-3?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Pontoneer
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?
Re: Did you upgrade from the K-5 to the K-3?
In reply to sgtsween, 2 months ago

davids8560 wrote:

Now that the K-3 reviews are in and the K-3 has gotten a Gold Award like the K-5 before it, are you one of the people who has upgraded? Is the K-3 really superior by leaps and bounds?

After trying one Nikon and two Rebel DSLR's, I gotta say I really like my K-5 by far. I dunno. I just like it more.

The only real difficulty it has for me is using it to shoot fast subjects. But I am sure it is due to my configurations and lack of experience. The K-5 is the first DSLR I've really dug into, after years of compacts and super zooms. And even though I have a hankering to try the latest greatest stuff, for once I feel like sticking with what I've got, and attempting to learn it inside out and master it (if possible) before moving on.

Unless you've got lots of experience with both cameras, and really think I should upgrade now.

Thanks.

I held out as I was dead set on full frame next. That said, I couldn't hold out any longer and picked up a K-3 last month. I will say that, yes, it is a huge upgrade from the K-5 in my opinion. I LOVED my K-5, and not even talking about IQ the K-3 is better. Better LCD, better control layout (not a whole lot different, but improved in my opinion.) Better UI even. It always bugged me that you could not quickly delete multiple photos on the K-5, and that is fixed with the K-3. Even the shutter seems quieter if that makes any sense.

For the most important aspect of IQ, it is a huge upgrade. The K-5 to me is an amazing camera and I got a lot of great results with it. The K03 just seemed to kick everything up a few notches once I got used to it. I'm getting results that I would have never gotten with the K-3. Many more keepers from the K-3. For me, after two years with the K-5 I really felt I had hit the limits of what I could do with it. I was very happy but felt I couldn't get results that were better IQ wise than the excellent results it was given me. I wanted a bit more and the K-3 gave it to me.

I say go for it. The K-3 is, to me, such a great step forward from the K-5.

I likewise was holding out for the FF .

However , since SRS clearance on their eBay shop coincided with a nice overtime cheque , I decided to splash out and have just ordered a K-3 , a K-01 , a DA40 Ltd pancake lens for the K-01 and a DA 70 Ltd .

Besides these lenses , I have lots of SMC-M glass collected over the last 40 years , and some Sigma EX glass which I have been using with my two *istD and MZ-S in more recent years .

While I have played with K-5 and derivatives in shops , and still awaiting my new cameras , I can't comment on my new toys yet , but am confident they will be a good step up from the *istD ( which I was using just this morning and pleased to say is still capable of good results with care ) .

I will also be interested to compare the K-3 with the Nikon kit I use at work ( D600 , 300 , 200 ) and will comment on this later .

While I have been using a Canon G11 compact for a few years now , I am aware of its limitations , and hope the K-01 might replace it as a slightly bigger camera but with significantly better image quality .

Of course , while it is likely that , now I have bought the K-3 , the Pentax FF will be announced soon , there is nothing to say that I can't still get one later .

In the meantime , I will be interested to see how the new Limited glass compares to my cherished SMC-M glass , and may well start to collect a few more .
--
With kind regards

Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow