Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?
Panasonic interview: a little on lenses, lots on DFD
3 months ago

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/06/05/panasonic-executive-interview-part-i-why-no-long-teles-and-depth-from-defoc

Apologies if this had already been linked here, I looked thru the first few pages of threads and didn't see any mention of it. I think someone did allude to it in one of the threads about the 150/2.8 etc.

Anyway, they briefly talk about the GM1 and lenses in general towards the start, but the bulk of it is about DFD. I don't think the revealed anything particularly new about the latter (though my technical understanding might not be the best), but the two Panasonic guys did seem quite sure that DFD would eventually make it to cheaper bodies (not surprising, though good to hear) AND even compact cameras... So it might not be as processor intensive as some make it out to be. They did seem to hint it is more intensive for video so having DFD for video could very well be a point of differentiation for the GH4...

On the lens front, what I found really interesting were the comments about the 35-100mm they are working on for the GM1, this bit in particular:

Inoue: ...and the 35-100mm. It's almost the same size as our current 14-42mm.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ee_uploads/news/3762/35-100gmseries_600.jpg

Wow, as small as the 14-42?? It thought it'd be much closer to something like the 12-35/2.8 or 14-140 II. Hard to tell from the few photos we've seen (like the one above, from the same interview, old CES shot)... A 1" length difference might not seem like much to some of you with larger camera bodies but it would make a world of difference to me. That would basically be the first M4/3 tele zoom that could actually fit alongside another similarly sized lens in my tiny bag (it would be alongside either the 45/1.8, 9-18, or 7.5 FE) . I'm looking forward to finding out just how small it really is!

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow