Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jrkahuna
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
HELP!!!! SOS!!!!!!! 911!!!!!
2 months ago

I know I may be overreacting and this is going to be a long post,  but here is my problem.

I just bought a D610 along with a Nikon 50 mm f/1.8 lens off of Amazon (both new). I have only had it over a week and bought it specifically for my sons indoor sports activities like Tae Kwon Do and Swimming and because I have outgrown my D80 and wanted to move to full frame.

As luck would have it, my sons had their next Tae Kwon Do testing today and I had to be out of town for work. I love Murphy's Law and he loves me. Suffice to say, my wife does not share my passion with photography. She is content with iPhone pictures. But, she did agree to using the D610 if I set it up.

I told her to keep the 50 mm on it and I set it to P to keep it simple. I set the AF to AF-C and showed her how to change the white balance and set the ISO to Auto. I figured if she at least got the White Balance right, I could edit the rest in Light Room.

During testing she texted me that in the middle of shooting, the camera just stopped working which then caused my heart to stop working. She said she was seeing the letters FEE in the view finder. I had never seen anything like that with my D80 so I looked it up online and it said that the error is because the camera can't shoot at the aperture setting given the lens being used. I asked her what the Aperture was showing and she said it was 1.1. I didn't think that was possible so I asked her to switch the camera to M and try setting the apperture and shutter speed manually. She said that the numbes would not change. I asked her to take the lens off off the camera and put it back on. Thinking maybe it would reboot somethjing. That didn't work. So needless to say, she didn't get anymore pictures of testing and I didn't get my yougnest breaking his boards

I told her to try other lenses when she got home to see if it was the lens or the camera. She tried the 18-200 VR lens and the camera worked fine. She also tried the 70-200 f/2.8 and that worked fine. I wanted her to retry the 50 mm again, but she had to leave so she will try later.

While I am waiting, I thought I would ask the experts here.Have any of you seen this before with the D610 or any other camera for that matter? Given that the two other lenses worked, does this mean there is a problem with the lens? Is there a problem with the camera? Is there something else I can try?

Thanks for the help

Jrkahuna's gear list:Jrkahuna's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D610 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow