Sigma 19mm 2.8 for night / astro shots?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
Re: Sigma 19mm 2.8 for night / astro shots?
In reply to jbbevel, 5 months ago

Not a pro, but I took this one with Nex 6 + Sigma 19mm:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/13679561253/

I used the MultiFrame NR option and a 8 seconds exposure for each frame, iso 12800, then processed the OOC jpeg. I don't have a non-MFNR sample at hand to show. MFNR is probably also not the best idea for this use case, as the different exposures combined with the movement of the stars could lead to some incorrect stars removals. It still turned out nice imo.

Results on a A6000 would be even better due to 24Mpx and perhaps better high iso.

However, I had some trouble finding infinity focus in my first tentatives, so a MF lens like the Rokinon 12mm could be a better option in regards to that; I think the A6000 also shows graphically when you are on infinity focus when set to MF.

Also, being the Rokinon 12mm lens wider, you can cover a bigger portion of the sky, and you notice lesser movement in the stars, allowing for slightly longer exposures; not to mention that it is one stop faster, so you can use one stop lower iso which makes a big difference.

If your aim is to photograph starry nights, I'd absolutely go for the Rokinon instead of the Sigma, surely so if the IQ report I've seen here on the forum gets some confirmations from other users. It's more expensive, but not that much more compared to other E-mount offerings; and you probably have the 19mm focal length already covered by another lens (es. kit lens).

Small addition: the lighting conditions were not optimal for my photo above (city/village behind the hills for example), and the Milky Way was placed in a very inconvenient place...

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&A6000 (few with Nex-7): http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow