Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens Stabilization problem?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chris1001
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens Stabilization problem?
6 months ago

Hi,

I bought a 'mint' Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens off eBay a couple of days ago, having used these lenses in past on several occasions I am fairly familiar with their operation.

However on this particular lens I'm getting very strange results from the IS. In either IS mode (1 or 2), and handheld or tripod, when the shutter button is half way depressed the IS kicks in as expected, the image shifts suddenly to the left of the focus point, then a second later to the right of the focus point and holds. Its quite disconcerting, and non of my other L series zoom lenses do this, they tend to hold the horizontal but slowly drop the image vertically. None of this jumping left and right.

On occasion it jumps right then left, making the framing of small birds very tricky on maximum zoom, its quite unpredictable.

Also noticed that 2 of the 3 tiny screws that secure the ring/bezel at the end of the lens are slightly marked, as though its been opened up for work of some kind.

Can any owners of this lens contribute anything to my findings. I can get another one to test for comparison from work, but not until next week.

Cheers,

Chris

chris1001's gear list:chris1001's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow