A7 and FE 70-200 tracking - prepare for a big surprise!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,104Gear list
Like?
A7 and FE 70-200 tracking - prepare for a big surprise!
1 month ago

Today I spent some time testing the tracking performance of the A7 with the FE 70-200 mm f:4 lens. As readers of my posts already know I really love this lens. After this test even more!

For AF tracking tests I always set the aperture wide open, for these samples f:4. Autofocus mode was AF-C. When I started shooting then utofocus was set to center point, then I switched to wide area autofocus. I did not try zone focus, but I am sure this works at least as good as wide focus area. Lock-On AF was enabled and did a terrific job. I used single frame advance as well as low (continious) and high (speed priority), and everything worked way past my expectations!

AF is simply bliistering fast and snappy with the A7, and re-adjusting focus seems as fast and reliable as I am used with from my A77 and A99 with the G 70-200 f:2.8 lens.

With such results from these tests, I am sure the A7 with the FE 70-200 mm f:4 lens is capable of doing many kinds of sports and action photography, as well as birds in flight.

My conclution: WOW!

Enough words written, here are the proofs made with my fast running and biking assistant:

Running as fast as she could, center point AF worked extremely well. Keeper rate was high, but I got even more keepes with wide AF area! Object lock was activated. A7, FE 70-200 mm at 200 mm, 1/4000 sec and f:4 at ISO 400.

Biking fast, camera focusing fast with center area AF - lots of keepers! A7, FE 70-200 mm at 200 mm, 1/4000 sec and f:4 at ISO 400.

Another run, and the camera set to wide AF area - even more keepers! A7, FE 70-200 mm at 200 mm, 1/4000 sec and f:4 at ISO 400.

Here is the first and last one of a series that I took with continious shooting (speed priority and five frames per second). No frames are left in the series below - 50% crop! Hit rate is, as you can see, surprisingly high!

This series is taken with wide focus area and five frames per second. Even when the camera fails for the third and second last frame, it is on track again on the last frame. I don't think my A77 or A99 can do better than this! 200 mm, f:4 and 1/4000 sec at ISO 400. The pictures are 50% crop from the original files!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow