Question for owners/users of both 645D & D800/E + Nikon AF-S 2.8 Telephoto lenses

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lostsole
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Question for owners/users of both 645D & D800/E + Nikon AF-S 2.8 Telephoto lenses
6 months ago

Hello everyone.

I initially posted this in the landscapes forum, but thought I would move over here to perhaps find more people that might have some info to help me.

So, I have some questions for anyone who owns or has used the 645D and D800/E in conjunction with some of the top Nikon glass.

First off, I'm considering doing gigapixel landscapes for a particular type of project.

My goal initially was to get the D800/E and the Nikon 200mm f/2g VR II + teleconverters. I wanted this combination because of the outstanding marks on DXO and pretty much anywhere you look for this lens/camera combo. I've heard it can't be beat. It sounded perfect for gigapixel landscapes, the somewhat affordable sweet spot so to speak of a tele prime.

Then I saw the 645Z that is coming out soon and the larger MP would mean less shots to get the gigapixels done and greater detail per shot as I understand from reading, due to more MP and the larger sensor. As well, I would prefer as little stitching to do as possible work and IQ wise. Thus, the 645Z sounds appealing.

However, the big caveat I'm worried about is when I look on DXO and elsewhere the lenses for the Pentax are not even close to as highly rated as the Nikon combo above. Granted the test cameras they use on the Pentax lenses are not the 645D which is the only close comparison to a 645Z. So, I'm baffled I guess about top tele Pentax lens quality vs Nikon's best glass as per above.

Anyway, because of the specific goals of this project, I do want pixel peeping sharp and deep depth of field, minimal diffraction. That said, in anyone's experience of the two camera/lens systems, do I go with a Nikon D800 and lens combo above to reach maximum detail + extra sharp or do you "believe" the new 645Z coming out with the best lenses from Pentax will more so give me what I'm looking for, best as you can tell from using a 645D & D800 or D800E?

Either way is a ton of cash, so I would very much appreciate any feedback to assist in this choice.

Thanks!

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow