ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JLR9
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?
Nikon 1 and 18.5mm
3 months ago

Hi all,

impressed with my new 18.5mm on two counts. First I was out without my 10-30 and had to stitch this shot of a house, it is 10 vertical images. Normally I get register problems because of distortion but this lens shows little so I think Photoshop Elements did a good job.

Dyffryn House, South Wales

Secondly, I have an old Nikkor Tele lens which used to attach to a Nikkorex Auto 35 which just so happens to have the same 40.5mm screw mount as the filter thread on the 18.5mm. I thought this might work as a cheap portrait lens without having to remove the 18.5 and put on my FT1 and another lens. I was very pleased to find no image degradation that I could see. It is a quality piece of glass, if heavy, the results belie its cheap cost, these can be picked up for around £40 or on fleebay though some optimistic seller has had one on for over £150.

The Fotodiox pro grip transforms the handling of the camera, especially with the tele lens attached.

No worries about too much weight on the lens, it is solid enough to take it, I also took out a 40.5mm filter glass and put the metal mount onto the plastic thread of the 18.5mm lens so that repeated use of the tele lens wouldn't chew up the thread. A cheap metal 72mm hood from the bay ensured no flare from the large diameter lens.

Nikkor Tele 85/48 and Fotodiox pro grip

As I have too many cameras I haven't had a chance to get any decent shots beyond test shots, but I seriously recommend this tele lens. Forget about the wide Nikkor lens, I have tried it and the softness at the edges is disappointing though not surprising.

My hound with the Tele attached.

Johnnie

-- hide signature --

'A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.' - Ansel Adams

JLR9's gear list:JLR9's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 +18 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow