Will CLI-8 and CLI-42 carts work fine in BCI-6 printer?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
l_d_allan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
Will CLI-8 and CLI-42 carts work fine in BCI-6 printer?
3 months ago

I'm considering the purchase of an older Canon i960 inkjet printer . It has six dye BCI-6 cartridges. My intention is to use CLI-8 carts from my Pro-9000-2 in it. I also want to do some testing with CLI-42 carts from my Pro-100.

My understanding is that the older i960 printer uses BCI-6 dye carts, which don't have chips on them. Because of that, BCI-6 based printers are very "forgiving and tolerant" of which carts are in which print-head slot.

This can lead to problems, such as putting a BCI-6-Magenta cart in the slot that is supposed to have a BCI-6-PhotoMagenta cart. The print-head won't complain to the print-driver that something is wrong. It will proceed to print. Usually that's not good.

I'd appreciate confirmation that the i960 will accept and print with CLI-8 carts, preferably by someone who has done this. I'm not expecting the colors to be all that similar, but I can make printer profiles to get "close enough".

FWIW and TMI?

What I'm actually wanting to do is test how similar and dissimilar the ink is between Canon oem ink, OCP-8 ink, OCP-221 ink, and PrecisionColor CLI-42 ink. Part of the tests I have in mind involve "fooling" the printer with an unexpected cart, and still being able to have the i960 print.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow