Attention RX10 owners - is it time I considered an RX10?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,668
Like?
Attention RX10 owners - is it time I considered an RX10?
6 months ago

I have enjoyed my RX100M2, but for a while now have wished it was faster at the tele end so it was more useable in limited light and better for shallower depth of field portraits.

So I was very interested in the RX100M3 announcement. In the end, however, I decided to go with the A6000 + kit lens for general shooting, and this would give me the ability to add a fast prime. So I sold my RX100M2 to help fund my A6000 purchase.

Well as I found out, the A6000 is a great camera - but only if you put a decent lens in front of it. I wasn't happy with the soft corners at wide angles with the kit lens, and the best option for an alternative lens was the Zeiss 16-70 and that is insanely expensive.

I spoke to the people at the Sony Store and they kindly let me return the camera for a store credit while I considered my options (we don't have the return policies that they have in the USA where I live). My initial inclination was to just go with the RX100M3, which is due out in about a week, but I'm wondering now if I seriously need to give the RX10 serious consideration.

The thing is I find I'm getting a bit more discerning in the quality of my images, and large sensor compacts like the RX100 series and Canon G1X Mk II all inevitably have compromises in order to keep size down - in particular corner sharpness wide open. Maybe I need to accept that if I want the quality I desire I will need to move to a larger camera.

I'm not keen on swapping lenses, so the RX10 covers a great range for a fixed lens camera. It seems huge compared to my RX100M2, but RX10 users comment on how small it is compared to the DSLR gear it replaces. So I guess the size is all a matter of perspective - and I don't have to have a pocketable camera.

The RX10 seems to have the lens quality I desire - images are pretty sharp in the corners from wide to tele. Things I would miss from my RX100M2 is the f/1.8 at 28mm and the ability to bounce the flash. But while the RX10 won't give me f/1.8 it will certainly give me a sharper image corner to corner, and I've seen a pretty nifty bounce flash trick using a white card on another thread so there are options there too.

I've never felt I needed 200mm, but there have been times I wish I had more than the 100mm I got with my RX100M2. So obviously I will find the additional reach of the RX10 useful - and presumably the reduced reach of the RX100M3 more limiting.

I also will probably be able to pick up a bit of a deal on the RX10, whereas the sales people don't have much room to move on the RX100M3 - a new product with limited supply.

Sorry for the long rant. If any RX10 owners are still reading at this point , I'd be interested in some feedback on if someone like myself - coming from the smaller RX100 series - would get value from moving to the larger RX10.

Sony a6000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow