Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
geoff-p
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
What I don't like about the DSC-HX400V
2 months ago

Don't get me wrong ... there is much to like about this camera.  However, for me, there is one thing that will not make me leave my 5D2 & that heavy grey lens behind on an upcoming Arctic trip.  When tracking a moving object such as a flying bird, once you've taken a shot, the screen (or the viewfinder) goes blank for a about a second.  If you're on any sort of zoom, you've lost the object.  You can get around this to a degree in multishot mode which will give you a reasonable amount of tracking for ten shots in quick succession but after that you have a wait of about 8-10 seconds before anything appears on the screen.  In this department, even my old Canon 40D is much superior.

I'd hope to reduce the downtime by turning off auto image review but i can't seem to find a setting

After about a week practicing with this camera, I think my main use in wildlife situations will be as a video camera (although I haven't had a chance to see how well continuous focusing works in video yet - any suggestions on what camera settings to use to maximise this?).  Video will usually done on a monopod with a loupe for steadiness, especially if any sort of zoom is needed.

Elsewhere, I think it will be fine as a stills camera over a wide range of conditions & is pretty convenient to handle.

I've also found that it is a relatively painless way of getting into timelapse with the Sony app.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow