OIS and silent shutter are not a good idea.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246
Like?
OIS and silent shutter are not a good idea.
2 months ago

Well, this is nasty. Really nasty. I was quite shocked when I saw this.

Unfortunately DPR won't permit animated gifs, which is a shame because sometimes they are the best way to communicate.

https://plus.google.com/118260253826358926535/posts/AUhYXafo6BZ

This was taken from the world's current tallest building using a Panasonic G6 and the kit 45-150 lens, handheld but resting on a support. The series was an HDR bracketed set of 7 images, these have each been automatically equalised in the GIMP to correct for the exposure range before being converted to an animated gif.

This animated gif is a demonstration of two things:

1 - if OIS is enabled, when taking bracketed or a sequence of shots, the FOV jumps around all over the place. This is particularly bad with longer lenses, and particularly so with the 45-150 used here. Unfortunately because when doing HDR you are more likely to be using long (as well as short) exposures, IS should be useful to have.

I think HDR processing applications can cope with misaligned images so this may not be too bad in reality - but still annoying.

2 - if silent (electronic) shutter is enabled along with OIS, you get an additional bonus shown here. Straight lines become randomly curved, whole areas of the image become distorted with significant blurring occurring as well. This renders the bracketed set quite useless.

Look at the images below but compare by switching between them. I've just selected a couple of frames for simplicity. These are the full original images, without cropping but equalised to remove the distraction of the exposure differences, then exported as lower quality jpgs. It may be easiest to download these and then view them sequentially from a local source.

Conclusion? Neither OIS or silent shutter are as useful as some people believe. An m4/3 camera that has OIS and only electronic shutter may have significant limitations inherent in its design.

I would be interested to know if IBIS behaves similarly.

The last image is a combination of the two previous images, overlaid and aligned so that the horizontal offset at the spire and the bottom of the image are minimised. This removes a lot of the gross movement of the FOV but leaves the distortions in place. No vertical realignment was required. Most of the distortions seem to have a major horizontal component.

Decentred lenses? Shutter shock? Peanuts compared to this kind of thing.

Thanks for reading.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow