Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
takya
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
A77II Eye-Focus performance?
5 months ago

How is the performance and usability of Eye-AF, i.e. the function to AF on the (I believe) closer eye after pressing an custom button assigned with Eye-AF, utilizing face and eye detection, on the A77II? Has anyone tried already? Any special differences to A7(r) and the Olympus cameras? (Other than the fact that the Olympus cameras don't require you to press a button, and let you select closest/left/right eye?)

I use it on the A7, where I found it to be precise but not fast. If you are used to manual focussing that could be faster, but for me personally I found Eye-AF on A7 to be more comfortable and more often focused spot-on than manual focussing, focus-and-recompose or manually selecting focus point. It is limited to CD-AF, i.e. native lenses or, I believe, the slower mirrorless adapters. I haven't shot that many portraits with my OM-D EM5, so I can't really compare that one.

Reason I am asking is that I have several a-mount lenses like 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 that I'd like to use with Eye-AF, and the A77II, even with the crop factor,  or a future A99 successor could be just right. Considering the different AF systems, there might be quite some differences with usability of Eye-AF on A77II compared with A7(r), though.

Could not find much on the internet except for re-iterations of Sony's press release, no mentioning of this function at all in the multi-lingual user manual. In the Japanese manual, it is described at the end of the section about focussing, but a "be careful to frame the picture so that eye aligns with focus point" tip hints that Eye-AF on A77II relies only on PDAF (without any CDAF assistance which is technologically not impossible). In that case, this function might not be really useful on the A77II.

ANSWER:
Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow