Nikon D4s: Bayer processing breakthru?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Scottelly
Senior MemberPosts: 2,509Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks to all: Nikon D4s: Bayer processing breakthru?
In reply to Scottelly, 6 months ago

I've got to say, after looking at the word SEYCHELLES on the little globe of the Earth, the first image looks visibly sharper than the second image, as it should, but the second image looks visibly sharper than the third image, from the Nikon D4. I would be interested to see a similar image from the Nikon D4s. I doubt it can beat the image from the much cheaper Sigma SD1 Merrill . . . even though the Nikon is a full-frame camera with the latest technology Nikon can bring to bare (or should I say "Bayer" here?) for their flagship camera.

I don't expect a CFA sensor to compete with a Foveon sensor, even though the Foveon sensor is half the size. This is one of the things that stands out in my mind about Foveon sensors. They give a greater depth of field, which is a significant advantage for a photographer shooting close-up subjects, such as flowers and even tightly cropped portraits of people. This can be an advantage when shooting most landscape photos too. Who wants stuff in a landscape photo to be blurred? (I'm thinking specifically about sunrise and sunset shots from the beach right now. I want the shells on the edge of the beach to look like they're in focus, even if I'm shooting with a 50mm lens and a sailboat on the horizon, which is in perfect focus. I know this is an impossibility, but the camera with the smaller sensor is more likely to get closer to my ultimate goal. In the end I know I need a tilt-shift (perspective control) lens . . . but I just can't afford that yet. Maybe one day.

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow