Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,278Gear list
Like?
So Tired Of 35mm Equivalent Lengths
4 months ago

I'm an old guy that used to have a 35mm film camera and all the zoom and primes we all used to have. I totally get that 50mm is normal, 35mm is sort of wide, etc, etc, ...

That said, I'm really, totally, and completely tired of hearing about "35mm equivalent" lengths, or "crop sensor equivalent" lengths.

As of 2014 APS/C cameras are the default setting for most of us. On an APS/C camera 35mm is Normal, and 24mm is sort of wide, etc, etc, ...

Sony has a really neat little 10-18mm UWA zoom lens for us to buy. None of us, as in like zero percent of us, struggles to translate that into FF numbers and says "Oh wow, a 15 to 27 mm zoom would be really cool." Nobody under 50 years of age thinks about the SEL 55-210 mm zoom and thinks about how a 83-315 mm zoom would look through an optical view finder.

It's time to give up the film equivalent silliness. APS/C is the new reality. Get used to it. People that shoot with a FF camera should have to tell us what their lenses are in APS/C equivalent.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow