I feel like I must be doing something wrong 70-300 VC Tamron vs. 70-200 2.8 VRI Nikon

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aldridgec
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
I feel like I must be doing something wrong 70-300 VC Tamron vs. 70-200 2.8 VRI Nikon
2 months ago

I rented the 70-200 Nikon today for a wedding tomrrow. I was acclimating myself to the feel of the lens again (I occasionally rent this lens but it has been over a year). I figured the extra stop would help with the people movement.

As I was snapping a couple of shots in my office, it seemed to me something was different.

I own the 70-300 Tamron bought new last year. I've been very pleased with it (i know there are endless debates about this lens, but lets assume for now it works well).

The VC seemed to work better than the VR especially in the horizontal plane. Maybe the difference is the fact the Nikon is a rental and maybe abused more? Also could be that the Nikon is far heavier and harder to hold steady, but I thought the heavier lenses tended to be more stable hand held.

So I shot a couple of comparisons. These are at the same camera (D700) same aperture (F5.6)/SS (1/13) handheld but braced, locked white balance (incand), same ISO (6400), same Zoom (200mm), same focus point (the selector button on camera). Converted SOOC with ViewNX.

The Nikon color is off, and the detail seems to be better with the Tamron.

EDIT: I just repeated the test with my D7000, with similar results.

What think you?

Tamron 70-300 VC

Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRI

aldridgec's gear list:aldridgec's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
ANSWER:
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow