Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,149Gear list
Like?
Nikon D7100 buffer solutions - sort of
1 month ago

Apparently the Nikon D7100 can accept no write speed higher than 99 mp/s. For example, when shooting RAW files 14-bit lossless compressed, your files will be around 29MB each. If your card is capable of write speeds of 35MB/s you could only write about one frame each second after the buffer is full, while a 90MB/s card could write about 3 files per second. This would indicate that we use a card with 95 mb/s such as the SanDisc or Lexar if buffer write speed is important.

Furthermore, if we choose to use raw compressed at 14 bit we can squeeze in 8 frames and even 9 frames with raw compressed and 12 bit before the buffer is full and we slow down to 3 fps.In fact, we can shoot at 3 fps all day long.

For sports or other fast moving activities, it is highly unlikely that you will ever see a difference between 12 and 14 bit.

As I no longer shoot sports for money, these figures seem acceptable to me - barely.

With a new Nikon coming soon, I'll bet buffer size will be a moot point!

(Yes, I switched to the D7100 as the menu and layout on the D5300 was driving me nutz )

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Nikon D5300 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow